This article gives you a step by step guide on how to setup Google Tag Manager with your heyflow.
Google Tag Manager is a tag management system that allows you to quickly and easily update and manage tags on your website or mobile app.
If you are new to Google Tag Manager, click here to create a new account. Then, return to this guide and skip to Step 3 - creating a new container.
1.Open your Google Tag Manager dashboard and select any container within the account you would like to create a new container in.
2. Click on Admin on the top left.
2. On the right-hand side of the window, click on the plus sign to create a new property.
3. In the Create Container field, enter any name as the Container name. This name is simply for you to identify the container later. As a Target platform, choose Web. Then, click Create.
4. You will then be redirected to Google Tag Manager Overview Dashboard.
5. On the top right, the Container ID is displayed, which you can copy to your clipboard by right-clicking on the ID and select Copy
6. Switch to go.heyflow.app, open your flow and navigate to the 'Integrate' tab at the top of the Heyflow editor.
7. Select 'Analytics' from the sidebar on the left.
8. Paste the Container ID to the Google Tag Manager section and click Save.
Make sure that there are no extra whitespaces before or after the ID code in the text field after pasting it.
9. Click thePublish button in the top right corner to publish your flow.
Google Tag Manager will only work after you save the updated integrations and you have published your flow.
10. Switch back to your Google Tag Manager editor and navigate through the different options on the left sidebar. There, you are able to set any tags, triggers, or variables needed for your website.
11. For a kickstart, we have created a container configuration for you to import into your container. This container configuration already has the most important tags and triggers set up for you. Click here to download the file. (Depending on your browser, the file might not automatically download. In that case, simply save (CTRL + S or CMD + S) the file to your computer. Make sure it ends with .json).
12. Once downloaded, navigate to Admin located at the top left of the Google Tag Manager dashboard and select Import Container listed in your container settings.
13. Import the downloaded file by clicking Choose container file.
14. Choose which workspace you would like to set the tags and triggers to take place. We recommend Existing. Then, select Default Workspace.
15. Next, choose whether you would want to overwrite your current configuration with the Heyflow basic configuration or merge them. We recommend Overwrite.
Selecting Overwrite will – unsurprisingly – overwrite your current changes. If you have an existing setup and you want to combine it with Heyflow, you can Merge. However, we advise you to have a Container dedicated to your flows only to ensure correct results and no conflicts.
16. Once you approve of the changes, you can click Confirm to import the container.
17. You will be redirected to the Google Tag Manager dashboard, where you will see the Submit button located on the top right of the dashboard. Click the Submit button.
18. You are then able to name the current version. Make sure that the environment is set to Live (located at the bottom of the window). You can then Publish your version using the button located on the top window.
You have to submit and publish an initial version of your container before you can use the preview.
19. You will then be directed to a summary dashboard of all the tags, variables, and triggers you have set up, which are all live.
Great! You are now all set up to manage your tags, triggers, and variables using Google Tag Manager. Feel free to modify your container according to your needs.
You can also integrate Google Analytics 4 with your Google Tag Manager. Navigate to our 'Google Analytics 4 Setup' page to get started!